Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Vision Clinic

On Tuesday morning, Dr. Dayton left to teach at the Lupandilo School of Nursing. The rest of the team met with the Village Healthcare Workers to discuss details of the progress and future needs of the Kamina Vision Clinic. We then visited the physical building site and saw that only the flooring, ceiling, and paint was needed to complete the project. We met again in the afternoon with a larger group of Village Healthcare Workers. On our way to the meeting, an elderly woman stopped me to ask for 100 franc which is only equivalent to .20 cents. I had a 500 franc bill and gave it to her. She fell to her knees and said a prayer in the street. I felt uncomfortable and bent down to be with her because I feel like I should be there at her feet and not likewise. An interesting thing happened. She stood up, turned her head, and spit several times on the ground. I was told that she gave me a special blessing by this action. I discussed the event further with my friend, Arthur Mpoyo, and he reminded me of the story of Abraham in the Bible and how he spit on the hands of his son Isaac to give him a blessing.